Friday, May 23, 2014

Sourdough Surprises: Kimmelweck Rolls

Sourdough Surprises: Kimmelweck Rolls

I'm a rare breed – the native Floridian. On the other hand, I'm the only one of my immediate family who is – my parents hail from western New York, not far from Buffalo. And while good Buffalo-style chicken wings are easy enough to find, my family longs for another, lesser-known regional specialty: Beef on Weck. The filling is simply roast beef with au jus and horseradish, but the magic is in the roll: coarse salt and (usually) caraway seeds. So when Sourdough Surprises picked sandwich rolls for the May challenge, I knew just what I wanted to make.

I did select a sandwich roll recipe that included yeast, expecting Florida summer to make bread baking difficult and this being a challenge I would have to do last minute. (Which is also why this post is late!)

My recipe:

Sourdough Kimmelweck Rolls
Adapted from RedStar Yeast
Makes 8 rolls

Ingredients
1 packet active yeast
4 cups flour, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup sourdough starter
1 egg, room temperature
1 tblsp butter, melted
Coarse saltDirections
Combine yeast, 1 cup flour, and other dry ingredients. Combine water and oil; heat to 120º to 130ºF.

Combine sourdough starter, dry mixture, and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Add egg and beat 1 minute. Gradually add flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until doubled.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Divide dough into 8 pieces. On lightly floured surface, shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place on greased cookie sheet. Flatten to a 4-inch diameter. Cover; let rise until indentations remains after touching. With sharp knife, make an “X” on the top of each roll.
Bake in preheated 400º F oven 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet; cool.

Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with salt before serving

Not being a fan of beef, I opted for some deli chicken instead:


They weren't the most authentic kimmelweck rolls I've ever had, but they were close enough. And they were good. While maybe not a kimmelweck replacement, this is definitely a recipe for the back burner.

And maybe I should try sourdough battered chicken wings next...

Check out our other awesome rolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment