Monday, August 27, 2012

Cleaning out The Pantry: Funfetti Whoopie Pies

There's something about whoopie pies. My whole family loves them. They truly are something special, but they're also normally a labor of love. I don't particularly like making them – the ends just don't really justify the means. So, with various recipes saved and a Pillsbury Funfetti Whoopie Pie kit sitting in the pantry, I took a step to fix that with one of my new toys: A Wilton Whoopie Pie Pan. Now I guess I have no excuse.

Like about 90% or so of all baking mixes I've done over the years, it doesn't make exactly as many as it says it would on the box. Plus, the pan makes 12 cakes at a time. Not 24. It's more of a muffin top pan, I think – but don't tell the folks at Wilton that.

In order to compensate, I just doubled the size (which, either I was rounding the tablespoons a bit much or there weren't 24 rounded tablespoonfuls in the box) and increased the bake time to 10 minutes from 7.

Does it work? Yes. The pies came out relatively even and fit together nicely. As far as form, I have no complaints. However, the filling is just vanilla icing and sprinkles. I love marshmallows – that's my favorite part of whoopie pies. So, as far as taste goes...it was just off.

So now I need a homemade whoopie pie recipe, preferably one that doesn't make a whole dozen individual pies. And I still need to use the sourdough starter. And some more baking mixes. Oh, and I still have a few more toys I haven't gotten to use yet.

But maybe, just maybe, I can learn to enjoy making whoopie pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment