Thursday, September 20, 2012

Sourdough Surprises: English Muffins

Florida has its benefits – but baking real bread and related goodies over the hot, humid summer is not one of them. You have to add so much flour that, at least I believe, affects the results. Still, I discovered an online baking group: Sourdough Surprises. This month's project was English muffins. I've never before attempted baking English muffins, let alone while the humidity is still above 90%. But with my aunt in town for the weekend and some Philadelphia Indulgence Dark ChocolateCream Cheese in the refrigerator, this was just a little added incentive to try.


I followed the recommended recipe, sans cornmeal – although it took about a cup and a half more flour with the weather we've been having. The cornmeal was both a convenience choice (none on hand and its a small amount to use, and when is the next time I'm going to make cornbread?) as well as personal (I hate it when things start to flake off of my breakfast, be it sprinkles, poppy seeds or cornmeal). I didn't do it all myself. I actually worked last Thursday and needed to do this on Friday, so I fed the starter before I left and my mother helped me by doing the first step for me Thursday night, so it would be ready Friday morning.

I couldn't resist testing one out Friday, eating a post-workout egg sandwich on one. But Saturday morning was special. They were good – really good – and that dark chocolate only made it better.

So good, the only thing that could make it even better was peanut butter:

Problem solved. Yum.

Check out the other Sourdough Surprises English Muffins here:

13 comments:

  1. I am so glad you joined us this month! Your english muffins look wonderful - especially with dark chocolate cream cheese and peanut butter on them! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's always nice to have an excuse to bake something new :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh. My. Gosh. Chocolate and peanut butter on an English muffin. That might just be enough to have me make another batch, oh, right NOW!! Awesome, awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a nice start to the morning :-). I'm going to have to add this one to the Recipe Rolodex.

      Delete
  3. I have never thought about adding chocolate to cream cheese! Amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes in white and milk chocolate too. My aunt loves it so much that she will eat it with a spoon for desert!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I face humidity and heat problems in Malaysia too :-( but your sandwich filling would more than make up for any thing the weather throws my way! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it turns out just a little on the dense side :-(. But they tasted good, and hopefully we get less humid weather before January this year so I can try these again!

      Delete
  6. WOW! That looks Darn Good! I can't wait to try these~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'd love to keep making these. It's nice to not have to heat up the oven, and to top it off they are so versatile :-).

      Delete
  7. That is the most decadent-looking English muffin I have ever seen! Great job working with the humidity - good to know these can be made without cornmeal, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks...yes, I think they tasted as good as they looked :-)

    ReplyDelete