Friday, July 20, 2012

Jello Seashell Cookies


As I was browsing Amazon, trying to use a bunch of gift cards that I've earned and replace my long-missing bundt pan, I came across this pan. I tried to convince myself I didn't need it, but the ocean lover in me thought it was too cute, and besides, those gift cards are getting easier and easier to earn. Kind of ironic that, of the 5 new cooking utensils I bought, the one I didn't think I wanted was the first one I ended up using.

I'm going scuba diving on Sunday off of the beach. We're aiming to go in around high tide, but it isn't until late morning. So we're getting there early and having a beach party. Of course, I have to bake something for it. It's what I do.

My mother suggested pressing sugar cookie dough into the pan, and I liked that suggestion. Then I remembered a favorite cookie recipe that came from a Girl Scout cookbook from 30 some odd years ago: Jello Cookies.

I've made these cookies time and time again. The last time was for a potluck Christmas party at work, and I remember one person walking by me (not realizing that I was the one who made them) with a whole plate full of them, saying “I don't know what the heck is in these, but they are good.” With an extra box of Jello in the pantry (and I'm trying to clear it out!), I knew this was the answer.

I stuck to the official recipe with this one. It's tried and true, either pressed as the recipe calls for or rolled out and cut with cookie cutters. So the only difference was using the pan.

Here is the recipe (as it was written)
Jello Cookies

3/4 Cup shortning
1/2 Cup sugar
1-3oz package Jello (any flavor)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Mix first 5 ingredients. Blend in dry ingredients. Roll dough into 3/4” balls. Place 3” apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with small glass dipped in sugar.

Bake at 400 for 6-8 minutes

It actually took slightly larger balls of dough to fill the molds, and without pressing them, they ended up taking 12 minutes to bake. It made 64 cookies – enough for everybody at the beach as well as a few for home. And while I was first a little 
disappointed that they were slightly more browned than they usually turn out, my mother pointed out, “It makes them look like they have sand on them.”

So they were a hit at home. I can't wait for my dive buddies to try these. And hopefully I still have one or two leftover...

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, perhaps I missed it in the post, but what flavor Jell-o do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at it, I don't think I mentioned it. This particular batch I believe was sugar free lime jello. You can use any flavor (regular or sugar free) you like.

    ReplyDelete