Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sourdough Coffee Cake


I keep saying I'm going to get to those sourdough egg cups, but that's been pushed back again (in this case, locating some little-used equipment and making sure it's washed well enough). Still, for whatever reason, I don't want to keep going to the old sourdough standbys – the Amish Friendship Bread and a mocha cake I've adapted from an old recipe.

So what possessed me to go searching for this Sourdough Coffee Cake recipe? Not too sure. At any rate, I found it, like the sound of it, and decided to try it.

The only modification to this recipe was the addition of a half a teaspoon of vanilla extract, because it seemed like the thing to do at the time. Yes, I'm capable of following a recipe to a tee. Many recipes I have no need to adapt. This change being so subtle, though, I'm not sure it really mattered.

I have to say I don't particularly like how many bowls got dirtied in the process (I suppose you could mix the dry ingredients in individually, but I believe that this method is probably better in making sure the flour doesn't get too overworked). But the smell of cinnamon wafting through the house as I began cleaning up was worth it.

If there's one thing I would change about this recipe, it's the streusel topping. I should have melted the butter – instead, there were a few large chunks of brown sugar.

Still, it was full of sourdough and cinnamon goodness, and other than that (more of a mistake on my end), it was two thumbs up worthy. Or as my mother put it, “This recipe's a keeper.”

No comments:

Post a Comment