Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sourdough Pizzelles


When I was younger (I think I was maybe 3 or 4), my grandfather bought me a visor cap. It said across the front, “If Mom Says No, Ask Grandpa”. Of course, grandparents spoil their grandkids, and my mother is no exception with my niece and nephew. I always accepted that pizzelles, a type of Italian waffle cookie, were a special treat from relatives up north. When my niece fell in love with them, my mother went out and bought a pizzelle iron.

I draw my inspiration from many sources, and this one was no exception. One thing I hadn't figured out how to make sourdough were cookies (although I have since found a few recipes to try). I make sourdough pancakes with regularity. Could I make sourdough pizzelles?

Originally, I was going to use my pancake recipe, but as I continued to do research, I learned that waffle batter would work better. So once again, I turned to one of my new favorite sources for a waffle recipe, quartered it and doubled the sugar (and this time, it was easy to split up the recipe).

Pizzelles, in general, are tremendously time consuming. My great aunt only makes them around holidays for that reason. Starting this recipe the night before only added to the time put into it. Plus, not ever having used the pizzelle iron myself, it took me a few tries to get the right amount of batter and the right setting.

Here is the recipe:
Sourdough Pizzelles
Recipe adapted from Sourdough Recipes
Makes about 2 dozen cookies

1/4 cup fresh sourdough starter
2 tblsp powdered milk
1/8 tsp salt
1 tblsp sugar
2 tblsp melted butter
1/4 cup + 1 tblsp flour
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup water
1 egg (seperated)

  1. The night before baking, mix all ingredients except for egg white in a mixing bowl. Cover and let sit overnight
  2. Beat egg white until almost stiff and fold in gently
  3. Oil pizzelle iron and set to moderate to high setting. Scoop into iron by rounded teaspoonfuls.
  4. Remove from press and cool on a wire rack. Pizzelles can be rolled into cones or molded around a juice glass immediately after removing from iron, if desired.
  5. When cool, enjoy!

These were definitely sourdough. Even doubling the sugar didn't cut that tang much. Perhaps it wasn't wise to use fresh starter – it sits overnight with plenty of flour anyway. Still, the recipe is definitely valid. One thumb up as a cookie, two thumbs up as a recipe. And I'm definitely not done with this one. I think I'm on to something here.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, I just got into bread making and love all things sour dough. I love your site! I have been wanting to try pizzelles for a while and love the sour dough starter idea! I noticed this was posted a long time ago. Have you tried making them since? If so, have you made any changes or do you have any new notes? My starter doesn’t have a strong sour dough flavor, any recommendations? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete