Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sourdough Microwave Mini-Cake


Being that I just started this blog, I pay attention to how people are finding my site. Someone recently came across my Microwave Mayonnaise Mini-Cake by using the search term “Microwave Cake Sourdough Starter.”

Generally, I like microwave cakes for two reasons. One, they're simple and quick (a memorized recipe and less than ten minutes suits me when I'm being lazy). The other is that they don't leave a lot of leftovers. I can have a couple bite's worth of brownie, share it with my family, and not have the rest of the pan staring me in the face.

Not so much with my sourdough baking. I like to plan those things out and I expect them to be a long, drawn-out process. Plus, the denser cakes make for a decent (if indulgent and not exactly healthy) breakfast – meaning it's easier to resist chowing down on half a cake.

But this whole idea of a sourdough microwave cake intrigued me. And it got me thinking: Is there a way I could make a mini sourdough microwave cake?

Some time ago, when I first learned of different mug cakes, I came across Kirbie's Cravings. She makes lots of mug cakes, including a red velvet mug cake.

Now, my original sourdough red velvet cake was good, but didn't have that red velvet texture – but I doubt the microwave version would whether it was made with sourdough starter or buttermilk. No harm in trying, right?

The main modification was the use of sourdough starter instead of buttermilk and the addition of more liquid, although I didn't make it a “red” velvet cake (I had no red food coloring and this is a spur-of-the-moment kind of recipe) and subbed water. Nor did I frost it – although that being my favorite part of red velvet cake, I probably should have.

So without further ado, here's my sourdough version of Kirbie's Red Velvet Mug Cake:

[Not]Red Velvet Microwave Cake
Adapted from Kirbie's Cravings
Serves up to 4, if you feel like sharing

Ingredients
4 tbsp flour
4 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tbsp oil
3 tbsp ripe sourdough starter
1 egg
1/2 tbsp water (use food coloring to make it a true red velvet cake)

  1. Mix ingredients, starting with the wet ingredients and ending with the flour, in a large microwave safe mug or bowl.
  2. Microwave on HIGH for 90 seconds. Check for doneness – if the top looks like its overly moist and feels sticky, it could use another 30 seconds. (Mine did in a 1000w microwave).
  3. Tip onto a plate, if desired, and enjoy!

No, it wasn't red velvet cake (or velvet chocolate cake, as the case may be). But it was lightly sweet, done perfectly...and I have to say a two thumbs way up success! I can also see this being a useful recipe for those who prefer to use up all of their starter if they aren't going to use it for a while, or even just an excuse to use it.

Props to Kirbie for an awesome recipe, and to whomever typed those words into Google...I hope you keep searching. I think I nailed it for you.

1 comment:

  1. It was pretty good with ice cream. Used dark brown sugar, coconut oil and a splash of cream liquor (no food colouring) and zapped it a bit longer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete