Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies

I suppose this is as big a reason why these baking mixes keep sitting in my pantry in the first place. My mother went out and bought a bag of chocolate chips anyway, even after I baked the sugar cookies. (Never mind that there actually is still a bag of chocolate chips in said mess of a pantry). Why? “Because I want chocolate chip cookies.” OK Mom. Never mind I was going to bake you the whoopie pies you wanted last week and that I still have to use the sourdough starter sometime soon.

Which gave me an idea: Sourdough chocolate chip cookies. A quick search netted me this recipe, posted on at least half a dozen websites. Must be good enough, but while I try to eat healthier, organic foodie I am not (no offense to those that do eat organic, but I watch 3 things: Total calories, protein, and fiber). So, while I'm not into making major modifications to untested recipes, this was one that wouldn't stand the way it is.

For starters, I've learned my lesson about fresh starter in certain recipes. Maybe they would have spread more if I used fresh starter, but I used ripe. Secondly, shortening has become trans-fat free in recent years anyway. Not that I'm against coconut oil either, but our regular grocery store doesn't carry it, and the one that I know does tends to get me spending upwards of $50 on treats I don't need. Finally, Rapadura or Sucanat got replaced with plain ol' regular light brown sugar.

So my recipe, as follows:
Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 5-1/2 dozen

  • 1/4 cup Butter
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 cup Ripe sourdough starter
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • 3 cups Flour
  • 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1-1/2 cups Chocolate Chips

  1. Cream together butter, shortening and egg. Add sourdough starter and vanilla and mix well
  2. Add brown sugar, mixing until combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Incorporate a little at a time until just combined
  4. Fold in chocolate chips, being careful not to overwork dough. Let dough rest 15 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  5. Roll into 1” balls and place on a cookie sheet 2” apart. Flatten and bake for 10-15 minutes.
  6. Cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!

They don't spread much at all. But they are light, cakey and chewy, and I have to say, wonderful. Mom (who seemed to forget that I mentioned the sourdough chocolate chip cookie recipe yesterday) instantly said “,What else is in these? They're different. It's really good.” So clearly, two thumbs up and a definite keeper.

Now on to those whoopie pies...

4 comments:

  1. I realize this is an old posting and this comment may never be seen, but I'm going to risk it anyway. Can I use all butter (or margarine) in place of shortening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried it that way. They would spread a lot more due to butter having less fat than shortening.

      Delete
    2. I am confused about the comment that butter has less fat than shortening. Both are almost entirely fat.

      Delete
    3. I think all butter or margarine is ok if you can refrigerate it for 30 min to 1 hr for the dough to set.

      Delete