Saturday, July 20, 2013

Sourdough Surprises: Pineapple Coconut Cinnamon Rolls

Ah, cinnamon rolls. Way back when I first started baking with sourdough, they were one of my first successes. So naturally, despite dealing with the July heat and humidity, I was excited that Sourdough Surprises picked them for this month's challenge.

I decided to stick with my old recipe (even though it's so old, the website it's from seems to have been taken down), but halved it. Then I had to deal with the leftover pineapple from the hummingbird cake. While totally not traditional, something about a pineapple cinnamon roll sounded really good. Besides, also having a bag of shredded coconut in the freezer, it would make a perfect summery tropical treat.

I did have the humidity related issues with the dough (I ended up using a whole 2 cups of flour)

The recipe:
Pineapple Coconut Cinnamon Rolls
Dough:
3/4 cup sourdough starter
1/3 cup milk
1 tblsp sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 tblsp melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 cup flour
1/4 tsp soda

Filling:
8oz crushed pineapple
2tblsp sugar
2 tblsp flour
1 tblsp cinnamon

Topping:
2 tblsp melted butter
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Mix together first 5 ingredients of the dough in a large bowl.  Stir in salt and enough flour to make a soft dough just stiff enough to handle. Turn onto a well-floured board and sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour which has been mixed with soda.  Work flour in and knead for 5 minutes or more, adding more flour as necessary.

Place in a buttered bowl and turn once to butter top.  Cover and let rise until double, about 3 hours.

Punch down, turn onto a floured board and roll into 9" square.  Mix filling ingredients and spread over dough.  Roll and cut into 1 inch slices.  Arrange with sides touching in a 9" cake pan.  Cover and let rise until doubled, 2-3 hours.

Toss topping ingredients and sprinkle over rolls.  Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes.

Overfilled, much? But it made them that much better. Although I can't say I'll be making these often – I hope I plan better and not buy a 20oz can of pineapple when the recipe calls for an 8oz again in the near future – they were definitely worth making. And worth eating.

The only trouble? I've still got 4oz of crushed pineapple left. But...that's been taken care of. Watch for my next post!

Check out our other awesome cinnamon rolls!

17 comments:

  1. This sounds scrumptious! I'm with you on overfilling the rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pineapple-coconut combination! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha...I guess I have my a/c set too low :) Everyone else is having problems with humidity, my problem was getting it to rise! I love the tropical flavor combination :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, 80% humidity every day and it doesn't matter where the AC is set, lol! Thanks :-)

      Delete
  4. YUM! What a fantastic idea to make a tropical summery cinnamon roll! I bet they were delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an interesting filling! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pineapple cocoanut combo! Yum! I guess the weather has much more influence on dough than I thought - maybe that was why I had to add so much more flour. Thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned that pretty quickly...I normally stick to quick breads until around October. Thank you :-)

      Delete
  7. I love the pineapple and coconut combination! I had trouble getting mine to rise too, my a/c is always set low because my 3 pugs hate the heat! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a bulldog for a while so I do understand that! Thank you :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh, yum - pineapple and coconut as a tropical filling probably makes all that heat and humidity feel just a little bit more fun ;) Awesome choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, how delicious! I love coconut and pineapple together, and putting them in a cinnamon roll is brilliant! (And I'm pretty sure overfilling a cinnamon roll just makes it more awesome ;) )

    ReplyDelete