Friday, September 7, 2012

Easy Weeknight Chicken: Baked Mango Chipotle Chicken Tenders With Avocado Tomato Rice

I love to cook. My mother doesn't. Her mantra on cooking is “I like meals with three ingredients that I already have.” Which is one reason why if I'm not the one cooking, a homemade dinner is almost always either spaghetti and meat sauce, pancakes with bacon or sausage, or baked chicken with a boxed starch and a can of veggies.

Having learned from her, I do make baked chicken, but I put my own spin on it. After finding a bottle of 
Mango Chipotle Vinaigrette from Kraft (it's so new that there's not even a link to it on their website yet)
at the grocery store this week, I had to try it with something. And with the Shine Supper Club doing “Weeknight Chicken Dinners” this month, it was a perfect time to put a new spine on Mom's classic. I've used this technique with bottled mojo marinade as well, so you can use just about any marinade that you want.

So, here is my recipe:
Baked Mango Chipotle Chicken Tenders
Ingredients
1lb Chicken Tenders
~1/4 Cup Kraft Mango Chipotle Vinaigrette

  1. Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13” glass baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Trim fat off of chicken tenders. Arrange in a single layer in baking dish. Drizzle with vinaigrette and brush with a silicone basting brush
  3. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.

Avocado Tomato Rice
Ingredients
1 medium green skin avocado (or 1 large hass avocado)
1-8-oz can tomato sauce
2 cups cooked white rice.
Salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste

  1. Prepare rice
  2. While rice is preparing, roughly dice avocado. Immediately toss with tomato sauce and salt, pepper and hot sauce, adjusting seasoning as necessary.
  3. Serve over rice

I have to say I wish that the dressing lived up to the “Chipotle” in its name. It was good, just not very spicy, so if you're looking for that, you might want to sprinkle your tenders with a little chili powder as well. But hey, even my fruit-hating father enjoyed this one. It was quite good, it's healthy, and, on the table in under 30 minutes, is definitely one to keep in the arsenal as a change of pace.

As an added benefit, it might just be simple enough to make Mom proud.

2 comments:

  1. I know this post is about the chicken...but that avocado tomato rice is catching my eye!

    ReplyDelete